Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mint Slice Cookies


There's not a lot of back story to these cookies, except that I was really craving Mint Slice Biscuits. Actually I think my mint craving came from seeing all the green cupcakes and cookies for Saint Patricks Day, I see green I think mint.

For the cookies I used the same chocolate cookie dough I used for the valentines heart cookies, its such a tasty recipe. Half of the cookie dough made about 20 sandwiched cookies, I saved the other half for another project. The taste of these cookies was spot on, just like a mint slice only with the extra little bit of goodness that comes with homemade.


Chocolate Cookies

1 ½ cups plain flour
½ cup cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks, 170 grams) unsalted butter (softened)
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

200 grams dark chocolate

To make the cookies- Sift together the flour, salt, cocoa and cinnamon.

In a bowl cream together butter and sugar until fluffy and pale.
Add the vanilla extract and egg to the butter mixture, beat on medium speed until combine.

Gradually add the flour, mix on low speed until just combine.

Divide the cookie dough in half (it will be very soft). Flatten each half into a disk and wrap in cling wrap. Chill the dough in the fridge for at least an hour.

Remove one disk of dough from the fridge, roll the dough between two sheets of baking paper until it’s about ¼ inch thick.

Cut out the cookie shapes. If the dough has softened chill for a few minutes to make cutting the shapes easier.


Preheat oven to 180 degrees c. Line trays with non stick paper.

Position the cookies on lined trays about 3cms apart. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer until cookie dough is firm.

Bake the cookies until crisp, about 10-15 minutes. Let cool on baking trays.


For the Mint Cream

60 grams unsalted butter (softened)
1 ½ cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon peppermint flavouring

To make the mint cream- Beat together all ingredients until light and fluffy.


To make the mint choc cookies- Pipe or spread the mint cream onto half of the cookies.


Sandwich on the cookie tops.


Break up the chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and melt chocolate until smooth.

Using a fork dip the sandwich cookies into the melted chocolate, allow excess chocolate to drip off.


Place the coated cookie on a wire rack until set.


Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. They look truly delicious - I love the chocolate mint combo and these cookies look perfect.

    Love the blog - I've spent far too long reading through loads of your archives!!! Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm these look lovely. I love mint chocolate so these are definitely getting bookmarked! Lovely pics too as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way your mind works!! Not had a mint slice in agggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband loves Mint Slices. I might make these when I'm feeling particularly nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say that these Mint slices would surely taste 100% better than the store bought ones... And I am quite fond of the store bought ones too!
    I think mint when I see green also. Must remember to give this chocolate cookie recipe a go if I find a need for chocolate cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kara!
    Just thought I'd share some love and pass on the 'Stylish Blogger Award' to you! Head to Http://domesticsugar.blogspot.com to accept or just smile at referrals. YOU ROCK!
    HUGS!
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings from Southern California

    My name is Ron and I've added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and follow back :-)

    God Bless You and Have a Nice Day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my! You've combined two of my favorite flavors and created a cookie that I certainly can't resist. This is my first visit to your blog and I have spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete