Friday, November 23, 2012

Fruit Mince (Tart Filling)

Each year on December 1st I put up my Christmas tree, it's the day we did it as kids and its the day I do it now. To keep boyfriend happy as I agonize over the placement of each single tree decoration, I set him up with eggnog and fruit mince pies. 

That brings me to this recipe today, If I want to make fruit mince pies next weekend I had to start the fruit mince now, so the flavours have time to make friends and get all delicious. I find one week is long enough for the fruit mince to do its thing but feel free to leave it longer if you like. 

Sometimes I think fruit mince can be pretty boring, just raisins, sultanas and other things that make people (Me) screw their noses up and poke their tongues out. Wanting to make a mixture I'd actually like I added a few fun things like dried apricots, cranberries and spiced rum for that extra bit of special.

Stop by same time next week for the Mince Tart Recipe using this yummy homemade fruit mixture!

For the Fruit Mince 
2 1/2 cups mix fruit (mine had sultanas, raisins, currents and mixed peel)
1/4 cup dried apricots
1 cup dried cranberries (craisins)
1/2 cup red glace cherries
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup orange marmalade
4 tablespoons spiced rum
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
Finely chop up all the fruits and the almonds.
 Add all the ingredients together in a large bowl and mix together well.
Spoon the fruit mince mixture into an airtight container, store in the fridge for at least one week stirring occasionally.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds fabulous and I like how you don't need to bake it or cover it in suet as you plan to use it soon. The spiced rum sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just made it. Smells amazing. Just wondered - whays the longest it will last for in the fridge? Hoping to make another batch to use in a few weeks or should I wait until the week before. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty great post. I wanted to mention that I've truly enjoyed surfing around

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing performance located on doing this website online. Keep doing it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous entire performance on the subject of doing this business site

    ReplyDelete
  6. The site style is perfect, the articles is actually nice :D Good job, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, quite great article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made some decent factors there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this content together

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post was very well written, and it also contains

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you a lot for giving everyone remarkably memorable

    ReplyDelete
  12. It help me very much to solve some problems.

    ReplyDelete