Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Snickers Cupcakes


These cupcakes come with some warnings! They are sweet! They are gooey! And I think most people would have a hard time eating more than one in a sitting.

Its not often boyfriend makes a baking request, so when he jokingly asked if I could make cupcakes that taste like a snickers bar I was all over it! He was very surprised to come home from work and find a plate of snickers cupcakes waiting for him.

They may not be the prettiest cupcakes, but they sure are pretty delicious! Boyfriend said they are even better than the chocolate bars that inspired them.

For the cupcakes I tried the Devils food cupcake recipe from Martha Stewarts Cupcakes, it worked out beautifully. The recipe said it makes 32, I halved the recipe and ended up with 16 perfect cupcakes.

To make these little chocolate cupcakes into snickers flavoured treats, I filled them with caramel and topped them with peanut butter frosting. To finish them off I added a small swirl of chocolate buttercream and a drizzle of caramel.


Devils Food Cupcakes (from Martha Stewart Cupcakes)

3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
3/4 cup hot water
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream, room temperature

To make the cupcakes- Preheat oven to 180 degrees c. Line your cupcake pans with paper liners.
Whisk together cocoa and hot water until smooth. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Melt butter with sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring to combine. Remove from heat, and pour into a mixing bowl.
With an electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat until mixture is cooled, 4 to 5 minutes.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add vanilla, then cocoa mixture, and beat until combined.

Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the sour cream, and beating until just combined after each.

Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three- quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 20 minutes.


Transfer tins to wire racks to cool 15 minutes, turn out cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely.


Caramel Filling

200ml can sweetened condensed milk

To make the caramel- remove the label from the condensed milk can, with a can opener, make two small holes in the top. Place the can in a saucepan, open side up. Fill the saucepan up with cool water to come to about 1cm from the top of the can.


Bring the water to the boil, then reduce it to a simmer for around 3 hours. Keep an eye on the water level, making sure to keep it at the same level until caramel forms. Remove the tin carefully from the pan and let it cool before using.


Peanutbutter Buttercream

½ cup peanut butter (I used crunchy)
60 grams softened butter
2 cups icing sugar
Small amount of milk (if needed)

To make the frosting- in a medium bowl beat together butter and peanut butter until smooth and lighter in colour. Gradually add the icing sugar, continue beating to make a light and fluffy buttercream. If the frosting is too stiff add a little milk at a time until you reach desired consistency.



Chocolate frosting


30 grams softened butter
1 cup icing sugar
4 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp milk (approx)

To make the chocolate frosting- cream the butter in a medium bowl. Sift together the icing sugar and cocoa, gradually beat into the butter. Add the milk a tablespoon at a time until smooth.

8 comments:

  1. OMG!!! I am soooo wanting to eat my screen right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these look sooooo good I want to make some straight away but have stuff planned for the next few weeks. They do look better than Snickers no stale peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I think my husband would LOVE these! I make my caramel in a similar way. I don't open the cans, I just remove the label and plunk the whole can in a pot of water and boil it for about 3-4 hours, then stick it in the fridge overnight. You can then store it and have caramel whenever you want (sundaes and the like)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not pretty? These look a) super pretty and b) ridiculously good. The combo of chocolate, caramel, and peanut butter in a cupcake never occurred to me, even though I love Snickers...hmmm. I love the way you decorated them with the two buttercreams and the drizzle of caramel, they look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing - and great photos - did you take them? Very clever. I have followed along for you (yay) -nice to find a (sort of) local blogger. Please please please check out my blog @ http://louandjane.blogspot.com/ Have a lovely day, Jane:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for the lovely comments. It makes me happy to think other people are now enjoying these cupcakes.
    letsgethomeyhomies- I usually don't pierce the tin, for some reason that day I had a crazy fear that the tin would blow up and cover my kitchen with caramel. I never thought about making them to store in the fridge. Any ideas how long it would last?
    Jane and Lou- yes I take all the photos, mostly i just hope for the best, sometimes they work sometimes not :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so indulgent. I love loaded cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that you did a good job! but, when you think of snickers u dont think of peanut butter If i were you i would have did a chocolate frosting and toped it with roasted peanuts.

    ReplyDelete