Monday, February 14, 2011

Heart Inside Valentines Cake


This is my last valentines related post, and is also what I really made for valentines day. Boyfriend and I don't go crazy on the 14th of Feb, but we don't completely ignore it either. I came home to the lovely surprise of boyfriend making me a yummy dinner and he very much enjoyed his cake while we watched some Mad Men .

The inspiration for this cake came from some recent cupcakes on Bake It in a Cake , boyfriend isn't the biggest fan of cupcakes but I was in love with the idea so baked hearts into a cake instead. I used the recipe for the orange coconut cake I made a little while ago, but replaced the orange for equal parts of lemon and lime.


I wanted the cake to be a surprise, so I waited for boyfriend to go to sleep and made it late last night (sorry for the dark photos). I couldn't wait to see what the inside of the cake was like, I crossed my fingers when it was cut today and was very happy to see the hearts looked great. I cant wait to bake all kinds of things into my cakes now.

A very happy valentines day to you all.


To make the cake- Lightly grease a 8 inch square cake tin and a loaf tin. Preheat oven to 180 degrees c.

Prepare the cake batter as usual. Scoop 1/3 of the mixture into a smaller bowl and colour with red food dye.


Evenly spread the red cake mix into the square cake tin. Bake the red cake for about 20 minutes or until it springs back when poked in the centre.


Allow the red cake to half cool in the pan before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Once the cake is cold cut out the heart shaped using a cookie cutter (next time I'll use the cutter a size larger).


Pour half of the remaining cake mixture into the loaf cake tin and smooth out. Press the hearts cutouts in a upright line down the middle of the pan.


Carefully pour over the last of the cake mix and smooth the surface.


Bake and ice the cake according to the recipe.

20 comments:

  1. This is so cute and I love the citrus combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I bet boyfriend was well impressed! It is sooo pretty! Happy Valentine's Day too! Nxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the same post! It was awesome! I've been meaning to try it as well... this wednesday! Love your loaf, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didnt even know this was legal! Can you really bake a cake with a baked cake inside of it??? wow

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is pure genius!!! Love it and will be tryign ASAP. Happy valentines day to you too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! Totally worth the effort for loved ones.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! It'd be like a little love heart surprise when you go to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so simple now. At first I thought it was super hard to make. thank you for sharing.

    xoxo
    Missy
    http://throughanindielens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, I can't believe how much effort you put into that! Its so adorable. I sure hope he appreciates you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this. The surprise when you slice into the cake is really a treat. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea I love how you modified it into the bar cake, so much more suitable for slicing and showing off your lovely heart middle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks awesome, such a cool idea for valentines. I hope your boyfriend was suitably impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what a fabulous idea. I've never seen this done before but definietly going to try it. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow thank you for sharing <3
    I am certainly going to try it *w*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for sharing!!! I tried everything except this idea. I will try it your way & let you know how my cakes come out. Thanks again!! V

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a great idea....was super easy to make and came out just as youve described in here:DD Thanks a million for sharing this, lady. Ive reblogged the technique here,
    http://schee-culina.blogspot.com/2012/02/hearts-inside-cake.html
    Hope you dont mind:)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi there, sweet idea you have for your boyfriend.. i inspired by this recipe as well, but i have a question, is this recipe will works in Japanese cheesecake batter ? instead of the cake batter you used ?
    help me please ><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have much luck with cheesecakes so I'm really not sure Ila. I'd love to know how it turns out though :)

      Delete