Sunday, May 23, 2010

Yay! I made Macarons!


What is in my fridge? Well not alot except the ingredients bought especially to make macarons. I have wanted to make macarons for ever but have been a little hesitant, that was until I stumbled upon an awesome book. I love macarons by Hisako Ogita gave me the kick in the butt needed to finally give them a try. I knew I couldn’t totally fail as long as I followed the super detailed instructions, pictures and pointers.

I did it! Sure they weren’t super perfect but they were still pretty and delicious. I’m ready to bake a rainbow.


In other news- I don’t own a cat but do have 3 different kinds of cat biscuits and 2 kinds of tined kitty food in my house. As of today my little kitty friend not only has an abundance of food but also a super nifty dinner bowl for her visits.



Vanilla macarons with white chocolate ganache

adapted from I love macarons by Hisako Ogita

For the macarons

2/3 cup (85grams) ground almonds
1 ½ cups icing sugar (150 grams)
3 large eggs whites (room temp)
65 grams caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pink food colouring

Line baking tray with baking paper. On baking paper draw 1 inch circles spaced at least ½ an inch apart.


Sift together powdered sugar and almond meal, then sift again.


Beat egg whites in a stainless steel mixing bowl until foamy. Gradually add the caster sugar and beat to form stiff glossy peaks.


Beat in vanilla and a couple drops of food colouring


Add half of the sifted almond and powdered sugar, fold in with a spatula. Stir in second half of dry ingredients till combined.


Spread and scoop the mixture against the side of the bowl, repeat this at least 15 times.

When the mix is firm and drips slowly from the spatula it is done.

Pour the batter into a piping bag fitted with a 0.4 inch tip. Pipe batter into the centre of the drawn circles.


Give the base of the baking tray a good tap on a flat surface.
Rest the piped mix for about half an hour, until the mix no longer sticks to your finger when touched and surface is smooth. (my batter was a little too thick so the tips didn’t flatten out completely)

Preheat oven to 160 degrees c. Position racks toward the middle to bottom of the oven.

Bake the macarons for 16-20 minutes until crisp on the outside and soft but cooked inside.


When macarons and completely cool sandwich with ganache.

For the ganache

3/5 cup (100 ml) whipping cream
100 grams white chocolate (finely chopped)


To make the ganache- place chocolate in a bowl. In a pot bring cream to the boil. Pour boiling cream over chocolate. Whisk until chocolate is melted and mix is smooth and glossy. Cool the ganache to room temperature and chill slightly in the fridge. When cool continue whisking until thick and lighter in colour. Spread between macarons.

2 comments: