Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Quilted Wedding Cake

A couple of weekends ago I got to do something fantastically exciting, a lot of fun and just a little terrifying. I made a wedding cake!  The bride showed me a few pictures she liked of quilted cakes and asked if I could make a simple elegant looking cake incorporating the theme colours of silver and coral.  While it was exciting to be making something for such a important occasion, I'd be lying if I said making this cake didn't make me nervous. The night before decorating the cake I woke up worrying about all the things that could go wrong, I didn't get much sleep that night but it all worked out well.
The three tiers of cake were chocolate mud cake filled and covered with a half milk chocolate half dark chocolate ganache.
Each of the cakes was covered in white fondant and decorated with edible pearls. I knew there was no way I'd be able to created the quilted pattern with a ruler, things like that never work out for me, so I used this awesome quilting gadget that created a perfect diamond pattern. I really enjoy the quilted effect and can't wait for another time to use it again.
The cakes all packed up ready to go. I used dowels in the two lower tiers to support the weight of the cakes.
To save the stress of driving a super heavy tall tiered cake an hour down the highway I assembled the cake at the location. It was still a huge relief when the cake made it there safely.
Boyfriend took some sneaky photos while I was putting the cake together.
I'm happy with how it all turned out, the look and colours matched the table settings and decor perfectly. Most importantly I hear the wedding was really lovely and everyone loved the cake.

16 comments:

  1. That looks AMAZING! Fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kara, it looks perfect and so elegantly beautiful. I don't think I could accept making a wedding cake, I'd be way too nervous I'd screw something up too but you did the job beautifully. I love how it matches perfectly too. I bet they were really happy.

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolute perfection! Well done. I've given up making decorated cakes because i get so stressed out about making the perfect cake that I lose all enjoyment of the process ... I'm going to start sending people in your direction ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks fabulous! I think we've all had sleepless nights over cake creations. It is sooo stressful! But the end is filled with so much pride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow looks amazing!!! Where is this quilting gadget you speak of?? :)

    Nom! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nom! this is the is the cool quilting thingy I was talking about. I've included the link to where I bought it here to show you what it looks like but I'm sure you'd be able to find it in a cake decorating store over there. http://www.cakesaroundtown.com.au/catalog/patchwork-cutters-diamond-side-design-patchwork-cutters-embosser-p-3522.html

      Delete
  6. Well done, Kara! The wedding cake looks fab. Glad everyone enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kara, How did you get the diamond design to meet without an obvious overlap or mismatch at the back?

    Also, did you have to go over the lines again with a dresden tool or were you able to get the nice lines just using the diamond side embosser?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa. On two of the layers I got lucky and the design matched up almost perfectly, it just depends on the size. On the other layer the pattern was a bit out, it really wasn't obvious plus it was at the back of the cake and someone would have to be really be looking for it to notice.

      The embosser was fantastic and makes great clean lines. I only had to go over one or two spots at the top and only because I'd pressed deeper at the bottom.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the quick reply!! That's great to hear. I really hope I will be able to get a clean finish like you did as your cakes look so good. What sizes were your layers (the 2 that fit and the 1 that didn't fit as well) and how many guests was this cake for?

      Delete
    3. The layers were 6,8 and 10 inch rounds. The 6 inch cake lined up perfectly. I think it was the bottom 10 inch cake where I was left with a little bit of a mismatch. But the thickness of my ganache and fondant could have thrown things off too. I'm sure someone with a better maths brain than me could work out what sizes would get a perfect pattern every time. I'm not sure how many guests sorry, being a mudcake it would have served a lot of people.

      I'd love to see how your cake turns out, I'm sure it will be beautiful.

      Delete
    4. Hi Kara,

      I did my first 3-tier cake for a friend's wedding on Sat and it was a hit (pic here: http://instagram.com/p/RSZYWluSMg/)- Thanks again for your advice and encouragement to give the diamond side design a go! It didn't quite match up on the back of my 8in but I don't think anyone really noticed that there was a "back" side of the cake

      Delete
    5. WOW! Vanessa that looks amazing!! Such a beautiful cake, love the stripes on the bottom layer and the flowers on top. What colours was it?

      Delete
    6. Thanks Kara, it was just plain white cake with white flowers and stripes, silver cachous in the centre of the flowers and on the diamond side, with plum ribbon at the base as per my friend's request :)

      Delete
  8. I am just wondering what you used to stick the balls to the fondant?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used the tiniest dab of vodka, so it dried quickly and didn't soften the pearls or fondant.

    ReplyDelete