Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mulberry Muffins


My little garden had really picked up its game these last few months, first with the passionfruit and now mulberries. The best part is I didn’t have to do any work to get them, spring came and bam mulberries everywhere!

So now I have a billion berries but am not really sure what to do with them. I can’t remember seeing any recipes using mulberries. Does anyone have any ideas? I thought about maybe using them in a pie.

Not wanting the hungry birdies to beat me to all of the best berries, I picked all the ripe ones I could reach and made some quick mulberry muffins.


The slightly tart berries work really nicely with the sweetness of the cake, the cooked berries are almost like little pockets of jam dotted through the muffins.

My favorite part? The colour, the swirls of pinky purple inside the mulberry muffins definitely impressed me.

For the Muffins
(addapted from basic muffins in The Essential Baking Cookbook)

2 ½ cups self raising flour
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
1 ½ cups of milk
150 grams butter (melted and cooled)
250 grams ripe mulberries

To make the Muffins- Grease a regular size 12 hole muffin tin. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees c.

Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the sugar to the flour and stir through. Make a well in the dry ingredients.

In a jug mix together the milk, eggs and vanilla.

Pour the liquid into the well in the dry ingredients and add the cooled butter.

Gently fold the ingredients together with a metal spoon until just combined. Be careful not to over mix the muffins or they will be tough and rubbery.

Gently fold in the mulberries. The mixture will be rather lumpy.


Spoon the muffin mix evenly into the muffin tin, fill each about ¾ full.


Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes, until they are risen and golden and bounce back when poked.


Let the muffins cool in the tray for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.

18 comments:

  1. What a delicious muffins. Can you email me at castrokm@hotmail.com? I would like to ask you a question but I can't find your email here.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. Those look great! I've never had mulberries before, but they look like blackberries/raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound like a great use for mulberries. I usually don't like the taste of them on their own but they seem like they'd be delicious cooked and then backed into muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious. I bet your kitchen smells amazing after baking those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gran used to make mulberry juice which was a kind of cordial which was sooo delicious. Those muffing look great, I so love mulberries wish I could have some of your glut :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm these look lovely! I just did a brunch post involving berries if you're interested (?) I'm sure you could make a great compote out of your berries :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those muffins look delicious! And the ingredients look pretty basic too, i'll have to make them sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. just made these and they are DEVINE!! so yummy! i will be keeping this recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh I got sick of people coming into my yard stealing my mulberries, so i looked at your muffin and i made for the first time, it so yummy, I am so surprised i ate five all ready, haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. making them right now :3 Mmmmmm, got any specific sugar favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are soo good ! mulberry tree is overflowing so i thought i would make use of them aswell as stuffing some fruit into the children - and they were a success ! definitely recommending this recipe to friends! anyone got any tips of how to remove the mulberry from the stem ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sit on the lounge watching tv and cut one buy one with the scissors

      Delete
  12. made them 20 times now and i have some mulberry in my freezer making some now so nice every time

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the delicious muffin recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is a Mulberry tree which is loaded with fruit on my way to my local library. I took my grandaughters with me & we picked an ice cream bucket full! Washed & rinsed and half eaten between us we decided with the 'residue' to make muffins. Instant sucess and almost all for FREE. The girls love baking and your recipe was easy to follow. Granddad & I had leftovers in our fruit salad for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yup these are great. You've got a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the recipe, these muffins are good, not too sweet, but I found the muffin cases were dripping with butter when I removed them from the muffin tray. I followed your recipe exactly - any idea why this happened? It's as if the butter quantity is too much? Still delicious!

    ReplyDelete