Saturday, September 25, 2010

Raspberry Mulberry Crumble Pie


It has been cold and rainy for most of the week, the kind of weather that always gets me down. Plus I kinda feel like I might be getting a cold. Bummer!

The perfect pick me up for a dreary week? Pie! Seriously pie and icecream can cure almost anything.

Quite some time ago boyfriends Mum gave me the Delicious. Sweet cookbook, it has so many great looking recipes in it but this is the first time I’ve tried one. The recipe in the book is for raspberry pie but I also used mulberries, the tree in my little yard just won’t stop growing them.

The crumble topping was definelty my favorite part of this pie, the cinnamon made it so yummy. My only little teensy weensy complaint about this pie is that the berries were a little bit tart for my liking, but that’s easy fixed with a scoop of icecream. I don't think I'm every going to find a pie I love more than my farvorite caramel apple pie, but this is definelty up there.

Raspberry and Mulberry Crumble Pie (based on a recipe from Delicious. Sweet)

Pastry
1 ½ cups plain flour
150 grams chilled butter (cubed)
55 grams caster sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon cold water

Filling
600 grams berries (I used half raspberries half mulberries)
150 grams caster sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour

Crumble
¾ cup plain flour
1/2 cup ground almond meal
115 grams chilled butter (cubed)
30 grams caster sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

To make the pastry, place flour and butter in a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub together until mix resembles fine breadcrumbs.


Add the sugar, egg and water, mix together to form a soft dough. Press the dough into a disk shape and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes.

While the dough is chilling, mix the berries, sugar and cornflour in a bowl and set aside.

In a second bowl mix together almond meal and flour, add the butter cinnamon and 30 grams of sugar and mix with fingertips to form a soft crumble.

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees c. Grease a 25cm loose bottom tart pan. Roll out pastry between 2 sheets of non-stick paper to 5mm thick and line tart pan.


Line the pastry with baking paper and pastry weights or uncooked rice. Blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove paper and weights and bake for another 5 minutes until golden.


Add the raspberry and mulberry filling and top with crumble mixture.


Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the crumble is golden.


Serve warm or cold with icecream or custard.

6 comments:

  1. Mmm. Another great use for mulberries. Plus, I'm a sucker for anything involving raspberries :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh this looks absolutely scrumptious! Gimme gimme gimme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More mulberries, stop your killing me. I just love them and with the raspberries added.......Yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks stunning, just my kind of dessert. And it IS the perfect pick me up, comforting yet brightly colored and cheery.

    ReplyDelete