Saturday, August 27, 2011

Birdhouse Cake

Happy Birthday Mum!!
Actually my Mum's birthday was at the start of August so I'm a little late in posting this, ah well I'm doing it now.
Mum really likes birdhouses (and so do I) so I though it would make a fun theme for a mini dessert table. I wasn't able to spend the amount time I really would have liked to on this but I think it still turned out cute.
Mum requested her favorite kind of cake, orange and poppy seed so I used the same recipe as her Cake-Slice Cake last birthday. The recipe makes a beautiful moist cake with a good hit of orange flavour. Double the recipe made two round 8 inch cakes and six cupcakes.
The birdhouse on the top of the cake was made from a 50/50 mix of fondant and gum paste. I glued the fondant pieces together with royal icing, much like a gingrbread house.
I iced the cake with a pale yellow orange buttercream (which melted a bit in the car on the way there) and covered it with a sprinkle of pink fondant flowers.

13 comments:

  1. absolutely beautiful!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous! I love the shapes and colors. Wow! your mom must have adored this. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You cake is lovely... you mum must have been thrilled! So adorable- what a beautiful job.. and love the idea of orange poppy seed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great cake, you are so clever. Your Mum must have been delighted ... and it looked like such a lovely day to celebrate too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is insanely gorgeous - I may steal this idea!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow the bird house and cake both look sensational! Gorgeously decorated. I bet your mum was delighted

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO super cute and it looks super yummy as well in the sliced shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks amazing - the whole table all in pink. As for the bird house, I am left speechless. Your mum must have been so pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! I love the mood you created with the birdhouse, pinks and flowers. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just stunning - I can't imagine what it would have looked like if you'd have spent the time you wanted to on it! The whole display is gorgeous. Almost a shame to eat it... almost!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty , thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete