Saturday, August 27, 2011

Birdhouse Cake

Happy Birthday Mum!!
Actually my Mum's birthday was at the start of August so I'm a little late in posting this, ah well I'm doing it now.
Mum really likes birdhouses (and so do I) so I though it would make a fun theme for a mini dessert table. I wasn't able to spend the amount time I really would have liked to on this but I think it still turned out cute.
Mum requested her favorite kind of cake, orange and poppy seed so I used the same recipe as her Cake-Slice Cake last birthday. The recipe makes a beautiful moist cake with a good hit of orange flavour. Double the recipe made two round 8 inch cakes and six cupcakes.
The birdhouse on the top of the cake was made from a 50/50 mix of fondant and gum paste. I glued the fondant pieces together with royal icing, much like a gingrbread house.
I iced the cake with a pale yellow orange buttercream (which melted a bit in the car on the way there) and covered it with a sprinkle of pink fondant flowers.

13 comments:

  1. absolutely beautiful!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous! I love the shapes and colors. Wow! your mom must have adored this. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You cake is lovely... you mum must have been thrilled! So adorable- what a beautiful job.. and love the idea of orange poppy seed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great cake, you are so clever. Your Mum must have been delighted ... and it looked like such a lovely day to celebrate too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is insanely gorgeous - I may steal this idea!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow the bird house and cake both look sensational! Gorgeously decorated. I bet your mum was delighted

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO super cute and it looks super yummy as well in the sliced shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome!

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks amazing - the whole table all in pink. As for the bird house, I am left speechless. Your mum must have been so pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! I love the mood you created with the birdhouse, pinks and flowers. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just stunning - I can't imagine what it would have looked like if you'd have spent the time you wanted to on it! The whole display is gorgeous. Almost a shame to eat it... almost!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty , thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete