Sunday, August 21, 2011

Blue Heart Cake

I've been so lucky to make so many cakes over the last month, this was the first. I was asked to do an engagement cake based on my valentines day heart inside cake. The couples invitations featured a big blue heart and they wanted to continue the theme in the cake. It took me some time to work out how to make a cake for 40, with each slice having a blue heart inside but I think it worked out great.

I ended up making three round cakes which were iced and stacked on top of each other using dowels and boards. The entire cake was then given a final coat of yummy white chocolate buttercream to hide the separate layers and topped with a big blue fondant heart. The outside of the cake looked pretty and simple and I was told everyone loved the hidden hearts inside.
Here is a little update with a peak at the inside of the cake. (Thanks Steph for the photos)

6 comments: