Friday, December 2, 2011

DIY Gingerbread House Gift Boxes

You all know how much I love to bake and you know how much I love Christmas goodies, but do you know what makes me super happy? Getting to share all those sweets and treats with other people . To make the yummy gifts that bit more special I really wanted something cute to package them in. Way back in August I made some little birdhouse boxes for my Mum's birthday table, I remember thinking at the time they would make the cutest gingerbread houses.

Last year I went a bit crazy buying up a whole bunch of scrap-booking stuff I have hardly used, raiding those supplies I had everything I needed to make some cute little treat boxes.

You'll need-
Light brown card
Pink card
Blue card
Scissors
Wavy scissors
Double sided tape
Double sided sticky foam squares
Black felt tip pen

To make the treat boxes- Print out both templates (they should be A4 size) and cut out the shapes.
Gingerbread House Box Template
(I've never tried doing PDFs before so please let me know if they don't work out)

Lay the box template on the brown card and trace around the edges.
Cut out around the outline.
Fold the box along the guidelines. Attach some double sided tape to the inside edges of the front and back of the box.
Stick the side tabs to the insides of the front and back of the box using the double sided tape.
Cut out the door and heart window and adhere to the front of the house with double sided tape. Cut out the little gingerbread man out of the excess brown card, stick him to the box using some double sided sticky foam squares.
Draw on the details on with a felt tip pen.
Lay the roof template on the pink or blue card and trace on the guidelines.
Using the line as a guide cut around the outside with your wavy scissors. Use regular straight scissors to cut out the little bits in the middle.
Fold along the fold lines and use some double sided tape to secure the roof together in the middle.
I forgot about the chimney so I'll just try to explain the best I can. Cut a 2cm by 6cm rectangle out of the left over brown card. Make a 2cm long cut in the middle of one side of the roof, push the chimney rectangle through the cut so about 2cm of it sits inside the roof. Cut up the middle of the chimney that sits inside the roof and fold in either direction. Fix inside the roof with double sided tape.
And you're done. Now make something yummy, fill up the treat box and finish with a ribbon.

11 comments:

  1. AMAZING! I love the idea of putting cookies in them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I've been waiting for this post all week long. I am so glad to read it and found out that they are not too hard. I will make them ASAP and let you know how it goes.

    Thank you for this idea. Truly, you're a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just soooo cute I nearly squeed out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made these..and LOVED them! They are so gorgeous! Posted on my blog and of course credit to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, just popped over from Brittany's blog... What a brilliant idea! Am bookmarking this for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these and so much easier than real gingerbread houses which are driving me insane! I just pinnned this

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fantastic! I pinned these for next year =o) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Que cosas mas bonitas tienes en tu blog, enhorabuena por tu trabajo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Divine! and a great job of the PDFs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the CUTEST most adorable gift box ever. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete